The MacLamity

The News That Stays News, Reported Live

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

.

Physics SCHMYSICS: MACLAMITY CAN DO THAT
1+1=2 holds its own against e=mc2. Richard Harrison: "I know that other equations have done more, express greater power and have a broader understanding of the universe. But there's something to be said for the beauty of the simplest thing of their kind. I remember [my son] holding up the index finger of each hand as he learned the expression, and the moment of wonder when he saw that the two fingers, separated by his whole body, could be joined in a single concept in his mind." (Mind you, selecting that kind of thing is an old trick to seem deep. Like in some design exhibit I saw where someone nominated a sheet of paper as his favorite work of design, or a journalism seminar where someone brought in a baseball as an example of deliberately affective art and on and on like that... my favorite book: the telephone book... my favorite language: morse code... my favorite song: the dial tone... it never fails.)