The MacLamity

The News That Stays News, Reported Live

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

.

At a Halloween party, I was talking to a Liberian woman dressed as a witch who said that the only thing europe should do about Africa's problems was to stop giving aid to the countries, which just go to the idiots who run the governments and "let us kill each other." Easy enough! Charles Taylor's successful election slogan was "You killed my ma, you killed my pa, I vote for you" and her argument was that wherever that slogan wins elections isn't ready for elections but is ready for more killing. "I'll go back to Liberia in 10 years either way," she said. "Even if Taylor's still there?" I asked. She made clear how bad things could get if she stayed in Belgium, how bad they were already getting: "My little children are speaking Flemish."