The MacLamity

The News That Stays News, Reported Live

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

.

Americans really don't like foreigners writing about them, unless it's Tocqueville. They'll go absolutely beserk over what they descrive as errors, and won't dwell on whatever the foreigner has got right, since they will say that the observation is so obvious that there's no need to make it. I can't say I have much desire to read
BHL's book on the U.S., since that's pretty much my response as well. I'll just say that I wish Americans could write as well about France as BHL writes about America in the one Atlantic extract I got around to reading (Cf. this tripe). And I'll just note how often it is that I read in American publications the self-parodic sweeping statement: Europeans never understand how diverse America is when they make sweeping statements about America.