The MacLamity

The News That Stays News, Reported Live

Thursday, January 05, 2006

.

I'm half-way through "Hard Times" and loving it. Dickens has improved immensely since I was 16. Congratulations to him. People my age don't seem to talk about Dickens at all, the way our parents might have. Where does he sit on the pop culture plane? I found this column a pretty good guide, to what the people who don't know anything about Dickens know about Dickens. I'd have thought "Author of 'A Christmas Carol'" might be one of the facts that people might know, but apparently not:
Have you ever heard of the writer Charles Dickens? I had. Have you heard of the name Ebenezer Scrooge? I had. But I had not put together Charles Dickens, Ebenezer Scrooge and "A Christmas Carol," which is a story about a tight-fisted wealthy Englishman who loved money but looked down upon those who lived in poverty. He came around to being quite a generous fellow during the development of the play.