The MacLamity

The News That Stays News, Reported Live

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

.

There are many things that are annoying about an environmental issue of Vanity Fair. But The Times's blogger's main worry is that "[i]t sells you exactly the kind of lifestyle that the green lobby is telling us is unsustainable," pointing the damning finger at an ad for a $10,000 watch. Environmentalism is giving secular lefties a sense of sin. The main problem with everything is that it hurts the environment. See here for a clever argument that Gluttony, Covetousness, Pride, and Sloth hurt the environment. That leaves Wrath, Lust, and Envy as the only environmentally viable sins and I imagine there are plenty of ways to argue that they are not carbon neutral either. Envy's vision of the future, in Doctor Faustus, reads like a UN report:

I am Envy, begotten of a chimney-sweeper and an oyster-wife. I cannot read, and therefore wish all books burned. I am lean with seeing others eat. O, that there would come a famine over all the world, that all might die, and I live alone! then thou shouldst see how fat I'd be.